Saturday, September 1, 2018

Augusta McKee: Singer, Teacher, Director, Amateur Sleuth


Hearing from readers how much they like a character from one of my books is pretty nifty, to say the least. A number of readers fell in love with Jake Cameron from the Cameron saga, Memories of Jake and Man with No Yesterdays. Every reader I’ve heard from about my most recent release, The Case of the Slain Soprano, has been impressed with Augusta McKee.

“It’s 1963. Former opera singer and now a professor of music, Augusta McKee finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation. Not only has one of her students been murdered, but now she’s short one leading lady for the school’s annual musical. However, Augusta, a strong force to be reckoned with, isn’t the type to take bad news lying down. Instead, she decides to do a bit of snooping on her own, especially when her red stilettos and sassy wit cross paths with the hunky, smart homicide detective, Malcolm Mitchell.”

“McKee makes a strong protagonist and I liked her instantly as she asserts herself in defiance of the detective, who seems a bit overwhelmed by her, but later regains his composure sufficiently to woo her …  I hope Jordan will choose to continue the McKee character in future books.”

Writing a cozy mystery … a totally different genre from my historical novels, which tend to cover a long period of time and a lot of life challenges … was more fun than I expected. Rather than putting Augusta in a small town,  I chose instead to situate her in a city I love, Cincinnati, and a community of musicians and educators within that city. Augusta came to Cincinnati to study voice at the Conservatory of Music (exactly as I had, many decades ago); studied and sang in Europe for a time (which I did not do, so I envy her that experience!). She eventually returned to Cincinnati as a member of the voice faculty for her alma mater and taught as well at a Catholic women’s college, Cliffside College.

“Augusta McKee, (the) heroine, is well-drawn for us and we are soon thoroughly intrigued by this well-dressed and extremely well-shod woman in midlife with many roles - professor of music, voice teacher, stage play director, and supportive mentor to faculty and students.”

I understand Augusta pretty well, even though her personal life definitely does not parallel mine. And physically she’s everything I am not … she’s 5’9” and slender. She also wears stilettos. I will admit to owning a pair of those when I was young. But Augusta and I both have a passion for helping young singers discover their gifts. And we both enjoy the challenges of directing a stage musical or an opera.

 “Augusta McKee takes her place among the memorable women of the mystery genre -- imposing in her height (enhanced by her beloved stiletto shoes), her no-nonsense approach to life, her love of music, and her bulldog determination to find answers when confronted with a mystery. She meets her match in Homicide Detective Malcolm Mitchell…and the adventures begin!” 

The Case of the Slain Soprano (Kindle edition) is currently on sale on Amazon for the measly price of $0.99. Sale runs until 8 a.m. September 4. Grab a copy now and enjoy!


cover design by Taylor van Kooten

Order now: https://www.amazon.com/Slain-Soprano-Augusta-McKee-mysteries/dp/1718802420/
Or visit my website: www.susanmoorejordan.com








No comments:

Post a Comment