Friday, July 24, 2015

Decisions, Decisions

To iPhone6 or not to iPhone6 … that is the question

Now that my iPhone 4S and I seem to be getting along better, I’m eligible for an upgrade. I went virtual shopping and found that I qualify for several different cell phones – the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy 6. I didn’t even know what a Galaxy was but a little research told me it’s a Samsung product and people who use it love it.

Hmmm. Being the queen of procrastination I haven’t yet decided what to do about this. There’s no rush, it took me a long time to get that 4S two years ago but I am glad I did. I love my iPhone. Unlike today’s generation, I don’t panic if I forget to take it with me when I leave my house, but I admit it does feel a little odd to be out of touch with the world for a couple of hours. For most of my life I survived nicely with a land line (and when I learned that term it was a milestone).

There were undoubtedly times in my life when having a cell phone would have been extremely helpful. What prompted my first cell phone purchase was being in a situation where I was waiting for someone, actually at a resort, and I was unable to call her because every pay phone I found at the resort wasn’t working. Unbelievable. The nasty weather had turned into an ice storm and I felt reasonably sure she wasn’t able to get out of her development (we have them here in the Poconos) but I didn’t want to turn around until I confirmed that.

Eventually I bought the 4S and wondered why I had waited so long to jump on the bandwagon. And I was sure I’d just upgrade to the 6 or 6 Plus. Until I put out a query on my Facebook page – you know the drill, picking your Facebook friends’ brains about a decision you have to make. All of this still makes me sit back and think seriously? We really can do this nowadays? How the world has changed in the past fifty years! Heck, in the past twenty years!

Well, my kind friends rushed to offer me advice, and now I am thoroughly confused. Here’s a small sample:

I didn't think I'd like giving up my 4s, but I have an iPhone 6 now, and I love it! I thought the plus would be too big as I use my pockets a lot.

I loved my 4s and I was skeptical about upgrading but I also now love my 6!

(Many comments similar to these.)

One of my favorite suggestions came in the form of a picture from Lucia:

  

 Anyway, many, many plugs for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Then I got this from Tom Lehman, who is singing opera in Berlin (another thing that boggles my mind, instant group discussions from anywhere in the world!):
  The better phone, technically, is the Samsung. But because you are used to the iOS architecture, you should get the 6. 

This sounded a little like a challenge, especially when followed by:
The Samsung Note 4 is the best phone on the market. I have a Note 2 that is 3 years old and still out performs the IP 6 platforms---which are just now catching up in size. Tom is right. The Samsung is the superior phone but if you’re used to the Apple's simplistic platform and functions, stick with it. But if I were you, I’d wait a few more months and get the Note 5 when it comes out. it will be 3-4 years ahead of the IP6, easily.
Now that, coming from Telly Halkias, a fellow writer whom I greatly admire, was definitely a challenge.

Dilemma. Then another friend, Kate, gave me this wonderful out, and a reason to continue to procrastinate:
 You might consider doing what I'm going to do -- wait until September when the updated version of the 6 is released (it'll probably be a 6s). It's supposed to have some nice improvements.

So as long as my iPhone 4S is behaving itself, I am going to refrain from moving to actual shopping and wait for September.

Well, it’s not that far away.


another suggestion from Lucia



No comments:

Post a Comment